Monday, April 6, 2020

"The Wright Brothers," written by David McCullough

"As I am truly looking forward to rejoining my Book Club at The Armed Forces Retirement Home, Washington, D.C. once our present health risks subside, I am grateful that we continue to read together and discuss extraordinary books.  Our Book Club recently discussed "The Wright Brothers," written by David McCullough.  After reading my thoughts about this exceptional book, I hope that you take a look at the lives of Wilbur and Orville Wright...you will be inspired!"

 
Hello To All Of My Fellow Literacy Pals!



As you all know, I prefer to discuss a little, and then listen and learn from you...the experts! :)  However, I do have a few thoughts to share that I am certain will resonate with all of you.  After reading "The Wright Brothers," I believe author, David McCullough, did a superb job in researching and writing about Orville and Wilbur Wright, Milton Wright, Susan Catherine Koerner Wright, and Katherine Wright.



My personal "roots" lie in Dayton, Ohio, so as a child, I remember hearing much about The Wright Brothers.  Nine years ago, our family began making week long trips to Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.   During these years of exploring historic lighthouses, beaches, and other interesting sights, we visited and "studied" The Wright Brother's Museum in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina on several different occasions.  The museum,  the presentations, and all of the actual sites were extraordinary...I want to go again this year!  I am mentioning this point, because having had the opportunity to see first hand some of the information housed in our present read, it truly brought the Wright Brothers to life for me.



Orville and Wilbur Wright were incredible men-each in their own right.  Like other heroes that we have read about, these brothers persevered, they were brilliant, and they never doubted their missions for a minute.  One accomplishment after the other, and they were smart and patient about these accomplishments.  I wrote down/listed all of their inventions, all of their endeavors...it's as if they each lived several lifetimes.



Wilbur Wright was the leader from beginning to end.  Something that Milton Wright wrote about his son Wilbur, summed it up for me.



"A short life, full of consequences.  An unfailing intellect, imperturbable temper, great self reliance and as great modesty, seeing the right clearly, pursuing it steadfastly, he lived and died."



So, onward to "Hidden Figures!"  If it is anything like the movie...we are going to love it!



All the best-



Glenna