Thursday, December 21, 2017

Book Club At The Armed Forces retirement Home. A Classroom At Its Best

Being surrounded by "America's Finest" every Wednesday afternoon, and all along reading and discussing extraordinary books, I realize how fortunate I am to be in such an extraordinary classroom setting.  For several hours beginning at 1:30pm, myself, Christine Baldwin, Librarian of AFRH, and eleven retirees enjoy "book talking" and insightful conversations that surround the times that are showcased in our selected books.
 

Recently, our book club completed "Team of Rivals," written by Doris Kearns Goodwin.  Being the novice in regards to understanding the complexity of Abraham Lincoln's illustrious cabinet, I found it mandatory to complete all reading assignments prior to taking my place at the discussion table every Wednesday afternoon.  Our Sixteenth President, Abraham Lincoln, was a genius.  He "brought out the better angels" in so many lives during one of the most tumultuous times in the history of our country.  While reading "Team of Rivals," I learned much about Lincoln, and his over achieving, tenacious, and often times challenging Cabinet Members.

There is one special writing about Lincoln embedded in "Team of Rivals" that will remain with me for years to come.  In reference to the emotional intelligence of Abraham Lincoln, Daniel Goleman wrote, "Having hope means that one will not give in to overwhelming anxiety, a defeatist attitude, or depression in the face of difficult challenges or setbacks."  "Hope is more than the sunny view that everything will turn out all right; it is believing you have the will and the way to accomplish your goals."  We can learn much from the likes of our Sixteenth President.

As our book club at The Armed Forces Retirement Home heads in another direction, and we immerse ourselves in the American adventure, "True Grit," written by Charles Portis, I'm certain that the storytelling and the lively discussions will continue on.  My friends and I resume our extraordinary classroom on January 16, 2018.  As we parted for our "Winter Break," Librarian, Christine Baldwin, the eleven WWII, Korean War, and Vietnam Veterans, and myself wished one another "A Very Merry Christmas and Health And Happiness In The New Year."

I have included some photos with this writing...please take a few moments to meet some of the members of my book club at AFRH. 

Wishing each and everyone of you, "A Very Merry Christmas And Health And Happiness In The New Year."

Most grateful,